Résumés offer little space for making a big impression. Instead of giving prime real estate to a dry, uninformative "objective" statement, why not start your résumé with a personal brand statement?
What is a personal brand statement?
Think of a personal brand statement as your professional slogan. It summarizes what you do well (your skills), why you do it (your values), and how you benefit others.
Where should it go?
Place your brand statement under your name and contact information at the top of your résumé. (You can also include it on your LinkedIn profile.)
How do I write my personal statement?
An effective personal brand statement matches your strengths with the needs of a target employer.
Try this process to write yours:
- List your top professional skills, accomplishments, and values.
- Research the company and position you are applying for. Jot down the company’s mission and values. Then list the top skills or qualifications the position requires.
- Note any similarities between your answers in steps 1 and 2.
- Craft a brand statement that highlights the similarities. Follow these tips:
- Keep the statement short and concise, preferably under 40 words.
- Be specific. Avoid general platitudes such as “a hard-working, dedicated professional” or “an experienced communicator.” Use specific targets: “Web developer with 7-plus years’ experience in wireframing and coding.”
- Show off your professional voice and personality. Make sure you understand the “voice” of your target job. If the language and branding on the company’s website is staid and formal, avoid overly casual language.
- Consider an effective pattern, like the ones that follow.
What patterns work well?
I jumpstart stagnant hiring through dynamic recruiting processes.
"I help . . ."
As a senior marketing director for 8 years, I help aerospace manufacturers gain exposure, boost brand awareness, and win contracts through multi-faceted campaigns and team-oriented leadership.
"Classified Ad" Style
Certified telecommunications electrician with five years’ experience installing reliable systems on time and on budget
Author. Social Worker. SEL Evangelist.