The set includes the Clear Writing Through Critical Thinking Instructor Guide, the print edition of Write for Business (with free online access), the Grammar at a Glance Job Aid, and a downloadable PowerPoint presentation.
Page Count: 115
This course will help participants think critically at each stage of the writing process. They learn to analyze, evaluate, and synthesize information. They build logical and convincing arguments and avoid faulty logic. Participants also learn problem-solving strategies to use back on the job.
You can easily pace this course: spend 10 minutes teaching the lesson on the left-hand page, give participants 10 minutes to complete the activity on the right-hand page, and spend 10 minutes afterward discussing their answers. Then move to the next lesson. A PowerPoint lets you teach right from the screen, and pre- and post-assessments track learning.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to do the following:
- Understand and apply critical thinking in writing
- Use the seven traits to evaluate and improve writing
- Apply, analyze, evaluate, and create information
- Think critically through each stage of the writing process
- Build logical and persuasive arguments
- Reason deductively and inductively
- Create arguments that are consistent, complete, sound, and valid
- Avoid faulty logic in documents they write
- Evaluate documents they read and recognize faulty logic
- Think critically to analyze problems
- Devise, evaluate, and implement solutions to problems
- Think critically about material they write for others
- Use critical thinking to help others improve their writing
- Use critical thinking to enhance group discussions
- Meyer, V., Sebranek, P., & Van Rys, J. (2021). Clear Writing Through Critical Thinking (Instructor Guide). Lake Geneva, WI: Thoughtful Learning.
- Meyer, V., Sebranek, P., & Van Rys, J. (2021). Clear Writing Through Critical Thinking (PowerPoint). Lake Geneva, WI: Thoughtful Learning.
- Meyer, V., Sebranek, P., & Van Rys, J. (2021). Grammar at a Glance (Job Aid). Lake Geneva, WI: Thoughtful Learning.
- Meyer, V., Sebranek, P., & Van Rys, J. (2011). Write for Business (Handbook). Burlington, WI: UpWrite Press.
- Meyer, V., Sebranek, P., & Van Rys, J. (2021). Write for Business (Guide). Lake Geneva, WI: Thoughtful Learning, writeforbusiness.com/guide (free online).