The set includes the Fundamentals of Writing Instructor Guide, the print edition of Write for Business (with free online access), the Grammar at a Glance Job Aid, and a downloadable PowerPoint presentation.
Page Count: 116
The Fundamentals of Writing course helps participants discover what’s working and what could be improved in any piece of writing. If writing is a challenge, Fundamentals of Writing will help participants improve their abilities and confidence. If they feel comfortable writing, this course will hone their skills even further! Participants learn specific strategies to improve the ideas, organization, voice, words, sentences, and correctness of their writing.
You can easily pace this course: spend 10 minutes teaching the lesson on the left-hand page, give participants 10 minutes to complete the activity on the right-hand page, and spend 10 minutes afterward discussing their answers. Then move to the next lesson. A PowerPoint lets you teach right from the screen, and pre- and post-assessments track learning.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to do the following:
- Understand and use the seven traits of effective writing
- Use an easy, four-step process to draft effective documents
- Analyze each writing situation
- Develop a clear main point and support it effectively
- Use an effective three-part structure, organizing messages to succeed
- Use different patterns of organization depending on the purpose of the message
- Use a writing voice that fits their subject, audience, and purpose
- Use fresh, precise words and get rid of wordiness
- Write active sentences with parallel construction
- Avoid common errors and unclear wording
- Create an effective design and use graphics to make their point
- Create email messages that communicate clearly
- Meyer, V., Sebranek, P., & Van Rys, J. (2021). Fundamentals of Writing (Instructor Guide). Lake Geneva, WI: Thoughtful Learning.
- Meyer, V., Sebranek, P., & Van Rys, J. (2021). Fundamentals of Writing (PowerPoint). Lake Geneva, WI: Thoughtful Learning.
- Meyer, V., Sebranek, P., & Van Rys, J. (2021). Grammar at a Glance (Job Aid). Lake Geneva, WI: Thoughtful Learning.
- Meyer, V., Sebranek, P., & Van Rys, J. (2011). Write for Business (Handbook). Burlington, WI: UpWrite Press.
- Meyer, V., Sebranek, P., & Van Rys, J. (2021). Write for Business (Guide). Lake Geneva, WI: Thoughtful Learning, writeforbusiness.com/guide (free online).